Educational and Scientific System
- Tomsk Region
- Tomsk Region Investment Potential
A level of science, education and innovative activity, that developed in Tomsk region is facilitated for development of the scientific and educational potential of the cluster. The region occupies in Russia:
the 1 place in the concentration of scientific employees of the highest qualification (16 people per 1000 population);
the 3rd place in inventive activity (coefficient 3.51);
the 4th place in the rating of innovation regions.
In the Tomsk region educational organizations of higher education, ensuring high quality of education and scientific research of applied character at the Russian and world level, are located.
Today the Research and Educational Complex of Tomsk Region incorporates:
1. Educational institutions of higher and secondary vocational education:
- 6 state universities with 8 research institutes
- 2 state institutes (Military Medical Institute and Seversk State technological Academy)
- 2 non-state universities
- 12 branches of universities of other cities
- over 12 international educational centers
- 23 institutions of secondary vocational education, including 4 non-state institutions and 2 branches of specialized secondary schools of other cities
More than 65 thousand students from 75 Russian regions and 56 other countries are studing in Tomsk universities.
2. State scientific institutions:
- Tomsk Scientific Center of Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences (SB RAS) incorporates 5 scientific institutes (Institute for Atmospheric Optics; Institute of Strength Physics and Material Science; Institute of High Current Electronics; Institute of Oil Chemistry; Institute of Monitoring of Climatic and Environmental Systems), 1 branch (Tomsk Branch of Institute of Geology of Oil and Gas) and Design Engineering Center
- Tomsk Scientific Center of Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Medical Sciences (TSC SB RAMS) incorporates 6 research institutes with clinics (cardiology; oncology; pharmacology; medical genetics; mental health; obstetrics, gynecology and perinatology), Tomsk Scientific Research Institute for Balneology and Physiotherapy of the Federal Agency for Public Health and Social Development, Center for Orthopedics and Medical Material Technology and the autonomous non-for-profit organization Institute of Microsurgery
- Siberian Scientific Research Institute for Agriculture and Peat of Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Agrarian Sciences
- 1 institute of Russian Academy of Education (RAE) — Institute of Education Development of RAE
- Tomsk Polytechnic University and Tomsk State University were awarded the status of National Research University
3. Scientific reserch
About 60 organizations are laboured in scientific research and development in the region: research departments of Tomsk universities, academic institutes, sectoral research institutes and other scientific organizations.
Tomsk Scientific Center of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences unites five institutes: atmospheric optics, high-current electronics, strength physics and materials science, oil chemistry, monitoring of climatic and ecological systems, Tomsk branch of the Institute of Oil and Gas Geology and Geophysics, and Design and Technology Center.
Tomsk Scientific Center of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences unites six research institutes: cardiology, oncology, pharmacology, medical genetics, mental health; obstetrics, gynecology and perinatology. There are two scientific institutions of the Federal Medical Biological Agency in the region: Tomsk Institute of Balneology and Physiotherapy and Siberian Biophysical Research Center, as well as ANO "Scientific Research Institute of Microsurgery".
In Tomsk, the Institute for the Development of Educational Systems of the Russian Academy of Education and the Siberian Scientific Research Institute of Agriculture and Peat of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Agricultural Sciences.
In a field of science and innovations development Tomsk region is a unique region for Russia. In the region an innovative development comes both from universities, innovative companies and scientific institutions, and from regional authorities. An innovative infrastructure, the activity of which is aimed at the commercialization of scientific developments, has created.
Since 2002 Tomsk Region has been implementing the Regional Strategy of Innovative Development.
In recent years efficient innovative infrastructure focuses on commercialization of scientific development, including:
- Special Technology Development Economic Zone “Tomsk”,
- 10 commercialization offices for inventions of universities and research institutes,
- 13 business incubators,
- Tomsk regional center of engineering of agroindustrial complex of the Tomsk region,
- Center of cluster development of the Tomsk region.
Created in the region the infrastructure provides system support for innovative activities, including a commercialization of research results, a generation of a knowledge-based business and ending with a wide range of consulting services to innovatively active organizations.